- Plugin for MotionBuilder 2018
- Plugin for MotionBuilder 2017
- Plugin for MotionBuilder 2016
- Plugin for MotionBuilder 2015
This install guide takes basis in version 2018.
To install the plugin in MotionBuilder, copy the smartsuit_v1_0_0b_mobu_2018.dll file in the "plugins" directory of MotionBuilder 2018.
That should normally be:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\MotionBuilder 2018\bin\x64\plugins\
After you copy the file, start (or restart if it was already open) motion builder, so it can read the new plugin.
Locate the Smartsuit device in your Asset Browser and drag it inside the 3D viewer.
Your device now should be listed under the Devices section in the Navigator panel.
Now create a skeleton for this device by clicking in the Model binding dropdown and select Create ... option
Now you can click on the Online button of the device. This will turn on the device and you will see the skeleton being animated from your Smartsuit Pro.
To use the animation on other characters, on the Smartsuit device options, click the Characterize button. This will create a character, characterize the skeleton of the device, and it will allow you to re target other characters using this character. The name of the character will be SChar_SmartsuitConnection:Root.
Now you can merge your own character in the project or use a character from the Tutorials section in the Asset Browser.
For this example we will use Pepe character from the Tutorials.
Drag the character in the scene, and select merge without animation.
If after you merged, you can't see the Smartsuit skeleton, make sure that the Display option of the Viewer is set to Normal.
To retarget Pepe character with the animation from the Smartsuit, select the Pepe character in the Character controls, set the SChar_SmartsuitConnect:Root as the source character.
With the Smartsuit device selected, you now can see the following options:
Now the character should get the animation live from the Smartsuit skeleton.
To record the animation from your Smartsuit Pro, select the Smartsuit device from the Navigator and in the options enable Recording option, also make sure Live option is enabled as well.
In the Transport Controls, click on the recording button and either override the existing take, or create a new one.
Then click the play button to record the animation.
Now the animation from the Smartsuit Pro is recorded into the current animation take. Click again the play button to stop the recording. To playback the recording, in the Smartsuit device, uncheck the live option. You can now playback the animation using the Transport Controls.
Finally the plugin provides the following options:
- Streaming Port: This is the port your Smartsuit will send the animation data, unless you changed this from Smartsuit Studio, this value is by default 14041.
- Command Port: This is the port your plugin will bind in your computer and it will use to send commands, and get back responses from your Smartsuit Pro. The currently supported value is 5000.
- Suit ID: This is the id of the suit that the device will use to animate the character. This is helpful when you have more than one Smartsuit Pro streaming in the same streaming port. If you type "any" in the field, then the device will use the first Smartsuit it will find to animate the character, this is also useful if you have only one suit streaming in the given streaming port, and you don't know the suit id.
- Characterize: This will create a Character in motion builder and will characterize the skeleton the device is using to use with the character. After you use this button, you can retarget other characters.
- Restart: Will send a command to the Smartsuit to reinitialize itself.
- Calibrate: Will send a command to the Smartsuit to perform a straight calibration pose.
- Unicast: Will send a command to the Smartsuit to stream data in unicast mode.
- Broadcast: Will send a command to the Smartsuit to stream data in broadcast mode.
- Set body model: Will send the body model specified in the Body Model section to the Smartsuit.
- Get body model: Will ask and get the body model from the Smartsuit. The result will appear in the Body Model section.
- Total height: The total height of the user wearing the Smartsuit Pro.
- Shoulder height: The height of the user wearing the Smartsuit Pro until his/her shoulder.
- Hip height: The height of the user wearing the Smartsuit Pro until his/her hip.
- Hip width: The hip width of the user wearing the Smartsuit Pro.
- Shoulder width: The shoulder width of the user wearing the Smartsuit Pro.
- Arm span: The arm span of the user wearing the Smartsuit Pro.
- Ankle height: The ankle height of the user wearing the Smartsuit Pro.
- Foot length: The foot length of the user wearing the Smartsuit Pro.
- Heel offset: The heel offset of the user wearing the Smartsuit Pro.